ML+C helping recover $1.4 million of Council debt

Working together with Mornington Peninsula Shire Council (Council), ML+C is implementing a plan to recover more than $1.4 million of unpaid rates from more than 150 long-term delinquent property owners.

Fifty-two non-resident owners or companies will be considered for property sale under s 181 of the Local Government Act 1989 and 70 owner occupiers considered for bankruptcy. Pensioners eligible for a rates rebate under the State Concession Act 2004 will be exempted.

Letters to these ratepayers will be issued shortly, which will be certain to prompt many to action. A recent article in the Herald Sun provides further detail.

Council’s objective is to improve the recovery of outstanding rates, reduce costs, improve cashflow and reduce the number of outstanding debtors, as well as achieve internal efficiencies.

While 98 per cent of Council ratepayers do the right thing and pay their rates, it’s unfair that the remaining 2 percent continue to disregard their legal obligations as property owners to pay their rates without a valid reason.

If your Council is considering conducting a review on its outstanding rates debtors, please contact us on 9258 3847.

Mark Henry | ML+C Director and Maddocks Partner
61 3 9258 3535
mark.henry@maddocks.com.au
Penny Lyall | Business Development Manager
61 3 9258 3504
penny.lyall@maddocks.com.au

 

Leave a Reply