How do I make a payment on overdue rates?

Payment instructions can be found on your rates notice, final notice, letter of demand or payslip from ML+C.

You can pay:

  • online by using Bpay, Aust Post Billpay or ML+C website
  • over the phone with a credit card
  • in person at the post office or at your council’s offices.

What reference do I use for telephone payments?

On your final notice or letter of demand, please quote the Bpay biller code and the reference number underneath.

Has my credit rating been affected at letter of demand stage?

No. Your credit rating is not affected at the final notice, letter of demand or complaint (when legal action is commenced) stages.

What if I can’t pay in full?

Contact ML+C to discuss a payment arrangement so you can pay the debt by weekly, fortnightly or monthly instalments.

Who will you speak to when you call ML+C?

Our Account Managers will guide and assist with payment and/or any financial difficulties you find yourself in.

How are payment plans set up?

When setting up your payment plan, we discuss:

  • payment frequency – whether you will pay weekly, fortnightly or monthly
  • amount to be paid
  • start date.

If you’re struggling to keep up with your repayments, please call our office on 9258 3847.

If you do not make regular repayment, your file will be marked as defaulted to show payments are not being made in accordance with your agreement. If you are planning to make payments outside the arrangement, please call us so we can note this on your file.

Interest continues to accrue until the debt is paid in full.

I’ve already paid my rates; why did I still get a letter of demand?

It may be several days between Council instructing us to send a letter of demand to rate a payer through to when Australia Post delivers them by mail. Should you make a payment during this time, you will still receive the letter of demand.

What is a Third Party Authority?

This is where you give us authorisation to talk to a nominated person about your outstanding debt. This person may be a financial counsellor, partner, friend, family member or solicitor.

You can provide a Third Party Authority through our website (click here) or by emailing us at Alternatively, you can go to your council’s offices to provide details directly to them.

The information you need to provide is your name, the property address with rates owing, the name of the person you authorise us to discuss your rates with, as well as the email address and phone number of that person.